Avoid cabin heat this winter with these DIY snacks and crafts
January 3, 2015 - storage organizer
1 hour ago
With winter in full force, a lot of people are spending some-more time inside, that can lead to cabin fever. To assistance make indoor time copiousness of fun, Jodi Levine, author of “Candy Aisle Crafts,” assimilated TODAY’s Erica Hill to share a few of her favorite crafts that kids and adults can do together, and use adult some holiday leftovers.
1. Peppermint Bowls
Those holiday peppermints (which we can also buy year-round during your internal drugstore) can be melted down into a accumulation shapes and projects. Levine pronounced that she loves melting them into lollipops and pleasing peppermint bowls. Some brands of peppermint whirl candies work improved than others, so try opposite forms to see that ones work best for you!
To make a peppermint bowls (as excerpted from “Candy Aisle Crafts“) you’ll need:
- parchment paper
- heatproof play (I used a 6-inch steel bowl)
- vegetable oil
- 18 starlight packet candies
1. Preheat a oven to 275°F. Line a baking piece with vellum paper. Very easily douse a outward of a play with a oil. Place 1 candy on a baking sheet.
2. Place in a oven for 2 to 2-½ mins until a candy starts to demeanour glossy and softens though doesn’t warp or sag.
3. Remove and place 6 candies around a exhilarated candy, touching it.
4. Return to a oven and feverishness for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from a oven as shortly as a candies start to soften. Don’t let them melt.
5. Place eleven some-more candies around a round on a baking sheet. You can try this step with 9 or 10 candies for a smaller bowl.
6. Return to a oven for 7 minutes.
7. Remove and let cold for 1 minute. Quickly trim off some of a vellum paper.
8. With a candy still on a vellum paper, and regulating an oven mitt, flip a candy onto a greased play and fast core a center candy on a bowl’s bottom.
9. Shape a candy around a bowl, regulating a oven mitt to press a candies into one another.
10. Remove a vellum paper and kindly lift a peppermint play off a play (it should slip right off, though if it sticks, let a candies cold for another notation or dual and kindly lift it off).
11. Place a finished candy bowls on tip of tiny circles of vellum paper so they don’t hang to surfaces.
2. Fun prohibited chocolate
Hot cocoa can turn a fun crafting eventuality with only a few tools. Levine recommends formulating marshmallow letters, regulating alphabet cookie cutters on prosaic marshmallows. “It’s good for kids training a alphabet,” Levine says. Other ideas to piquancy adult your prohibited cocoa embody adding a tiny peanut butter, Nutella or a candy shaft to supplement some additional flavor.
3. Vacation memory jars
Levine says a fun approach to relive a vacation — and connect some confusion — is to emanate a vacation memory jar. You’ll need a mason jar, vacation trinkets and some silt (one thought is to collect some from your vacation, though we can also buy silt from your internal qualification store). You can also place a design from your vacation in a behind of a jar, to emanate a finish arrangement from your final trip.
4. Big building blocks
Between grouping and receiving gifts over a holidays, everybody has a few boxes that could use repurposing. Levine recommends simply portrayal a boxes to give them another life. “You know how infrequently tiny kids like a boxes some-more than a present? Now you’ve done them into hulk building blocks,” Levine says.
5. Make present tags and nonplus pieces with holiday cards
Enlist a assistance of your tiny ones to find a second life for a many holiday cards that you’re not utterly certain what to do with. Levine says a front side of holiday cards can turn good present tags for a subsequent holiday season. All we have to do is cut a front of a label into a present tag. And for print holiday cards, we can cut them into tiny puzzles.