Garden apparatus sanitation, upkeep and end-of-season storage …
October 8, 2016 - storage organizer
Now that a flourishing deteriorate is over, we competence consider plant pathogens and garden pests are left for good. Not so fast…
Bacteria, viruses, and fungi that means plant diseases tarry in excess on garden collection and equipment. Eggs, larvae, and burrowing bugs distortion implicit in mud overwinter to taint destiny crops.
Proper garden apparatus sanitation, maintenance, and end-of-season storage keep collection in tip condition for several years’ use.
5 Steps caring for garden collection and equipment
Step 1. Gather collection and equipment:
- Pruning shears
- Hand diggers
- Empty plant containers
- Plastic piece mulch; hurl out cosmetic on a petrify or sand aspect for easy cleaning.
- Remove nozzles from hoses
Step 2. Clean collection and apparatus with soap and water: Use a handle brush to chase dirt, debris, and plant material. Rinse well.
- Remove corrupt buildup with turpentine.
- Blast divided algae, mildew, and mold with a absolute sprayer.
- Remove decay by cloaking collection in decay dissolver, afterwards dumpy with steel wool.
Step 3. Disinfect collection to kill pathogens: There are many blurb disinfectants accessible during your internal hardware store. Follow directions on a box or bottle.
To make your possess apparatus disinfectant
- In a vast tub, mix 1 partial bleach: 9 collection water. Soak collection for 30 minutes. Rinse entirely with H2O to forestall corrosion. When collection are dry, cloak steel with protecting oil to forestall decay (see step 5).
Do not reuse whiten to soak a second set of tools. Mix a uninformed collection of whiten resolution for optimal effectiveness.
- Alcohol, ethanol or isopropyl, can be used to purify tools. Dip collection in ethanol or use ethanol wipes. No rinse required.
Step 4. Sharpen blades and shovels with a prosaic file.
Step 5. Coat timber and steel with protecting oil:
- Linseed oil is a healthy oil extracted from flax seeds. It preserves and prolongs a life of wood.
- WD-40 is a perspicacious oil that lubricates collection for well-spoken operation. It is sole in a accessible mist for easy application. Coat surfaces, slicing edges, and unclothed steel parts.
Store collection in a purify and dry shed, stable or garage.
A DIY PVC apparatus organizer stores shovels, rakes, and hoes. Pegboards or hooks keep palm collection within transparent steer for easy-access. Roll adult hoses and hang off a belligerent to forestall kinks and cracks.
STAY INFORMED. SIGN UP!
Up-to-date cultivation news in your inbox!