George Carlin pronounced a residence is only a place to keep your things while we go out and get some-more stuff. For those of us that live on a bicycles, that observant competence request to a backpacks instead.
Like hosiery and shoes, backpacks mostly turn a personal choice formed on what you’re carrying, how mostly you’re carrying it, and maybe many importantly, how many we wish to spend. It’s a stable bet, though, that whatever container we finish adult with needs to be durable, waterproof (or during slightest H2O resistant), and atmospheric adequate for a essentials.
So select your bag formed on a following criteria:
- Capacity: While it’s always good to have additional space, we substantially don’t need a cavernous trek for discerning trips around town. Conversely, a tiny container will extent what we can take on your 10-mile transport to work. Be picturesque about how you’re many expected to use this bag, many often.
- Weatherproof capabilities: If you’re a fairweather commuter, we can save a gold with a bag that’s not meant to face a sleet and snow. But if there’s a possibility you’ll be carrying your costly laptop or camera in inauspicious conditions, make certain they’re stable from a elements with weather-resistant materials.
- Versatility: You might need your bag to do only one thing: transport some stuff. But if we need some-more flexibility — like camera storage, organizer pockets, mixed entrance points, daisy bondage for lights and locks, and formation with drum luggage — be certain to know what would be many helpful. But remember: some-more facilities mostly meant some-more numbers after a dollar sign. Balance what we need with what we wish to spend.
- Weight: This might seem like a no-brainer, yet remember that bigger packs are heavier. That might meant you’re hauling around a lot of additional weight for that discerning outing down to a cafeteria with your laptop. Adding heavy-duty materials also adds weight, yet a advantage here is that such materials customarily supplement adult to top-notch durability. You’ll need that if we intend to transport on planes, trains, and automobiles with your commuter backpack.
- Comfort: You’ll be hauling this baby on your back, remember? Make certain a behind row offers some ventilation, and on incomparable packs, some padding. The straps too should have some stuffing to safeguard they lay absolutely on your shoulders. Straight, prosaic straps are fine, yet if you’ll be roving a bike with your bag, cruise ergonomically-shaped shoulder straps, with some padding, and a chest tab to keep a shoulder straps from erratic as we pedal.
We tested 4 commuter-style backpacks. Here’s what we suspicion of them, and who we consider they’d work best for.
Mission Workshop a Rhake and a Capsule
Best for: Photographers
Mission Workshop markets The Rhake as a laptop backpack, yet it’s versed for distant some-more storage than that. In fact, it’s got so many ability that The Rhake can lift double avocation as a camera bag — yet you’ll compensate tip dollar for a conversion. If you’re not put off by a high cost tab as prolonged as it comes palm in palm with continuance for years of use, review on.
Bontrager Chi Town
Best for: Long-haul, all-conditions commuters
Bontrager’s Harelbeke container was a tip travel/commuter trek pick; sadly, it’s no longer available. So we gave a Chi Town a shot — it shares some of a favorite facilities from a Harelbeke, despite in a incomparable package. First and foremost, a Chi Town is super-rugged. It’s got a heavy-duty waterproof top, bottom, and front, done from a tarpaulin cloth. And a sides are done from ballistic nylon with a PU cloaking to give it structure yet also some flex.
Pactimo Dispatch 32L
Best for: Short-commute, all-conditions commuters
Whoever designed this container unequivocally commutes by bike. It’s light during only underneath dual pounds, and it’s burly: The polyester construction has a waterproof laminate finish to strengthen your security in crummy weather. The elementary cultured is in gripping with a altogether thesis of a pack: It’s simple, no frills, only a pockets, and facilities we need, zero we don’t.
Chrome MXD Fathom Backpack
Best for: Quick trips around town
Sometimes we only wish a coffee. Or a beer. Maybe I’ll move my laptop, yet really, we only wish a lock, a jacket, my keys, wallet, and phone. The MXD Fathom has that same agenda: It’s tiny and light, only what we need for discerning trips with minimal gear. It’s done from 1680d ballistic nylon, so it’s tough adequate to drop, drag, and reserve underneath a bar top. If you’ve got a few final emails to send before celebration a pint, there’s a sleeve within a categorical cell that fits a 13-inch laptop.